Monday, May 7, 2007

Dayton Area Home Educators Map

Based on some response to my previous post on acouple of Yahoo groups some people are mistaking my enthusiasm for frustration. I am certainly not frustrated. The people most willing to offer advice did not offer to be located on MY MAP OF HOME EDUCATION FAMILIES. I think some people are missing the point. This map isn't for me. It is for anyone that needs it which may not even be the people identified on it. If I were a home educator and wanted to visit the area for three weeks it would be nice to find someone locally who my kids could meet. If I wanted to buy a house, it might be nice to locate to a homeschool friendly neighborhood or one near a co-op where I wouldn't have to go far for some help if I needed it.
As the map grows (and it is starting to as others realize its potential) and I am able to color code it for e-schools and Christian homeschoolers and add meeting locations with regular days and times, then the true value of this information will become more apparent.

As a reminder for those who are opposed to E-schools. Many people have never heard of E-schools or even know what they are. It would certainly be a viable option for parents who don't have a GED. Many E-school parents may not be aware of the other homeschool options. I have come to understand that some parents have children in E-school while unschooling another and sending a third to private school. Parents obviously exercise their rights to choose how to educate their children.
I got an email today from Ohio Virtual Academy in response to a question. There are 257 students registered in Montgomery County. Ohio Virtual Academy is just one of some 41 E-schools in Ohio.

So, if we add the 257 students to the 160 homeschool students in the Dayton Public Schools district we are up to 417 students at least in and around Dayton who are educated at home.

If you want to be on the map, E-mail me at garyleitzell@aol.com.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We will be moving to the Dayton area this summer with the AF. I think your map idea is brilliant and will most definately want to be a part of it, however, we do not have a home yet. We plan to travel there in 2 weeks to look around and possibly secure housing at that time. Until then, I will keep a close eye on your project.

Kathi

Anonymous said...

it would help if you put your email in the post - I see the Email Me link on the right, but which blogger does that go to? There are more than one.

Gary said...

it would help if you put your email in the post - I see the Email Me link on the right, but which blogger does that go to? There are more than one.

Good point Amy! I took care of it. For a while I was feeling alone in my venture.....

If anyone else wants their email contact listed on this site, let me know.