Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Long Time No Blog

Last year I started this site in an effort to unite homeschool and virtual school parents in the Dayton region. I initiated the map of homeschooling families to help others and met some of the folks who post to some of the Yahoo groups in the region regarding homeschooling. As you can see by the list of participants to this site and the number of active posts, I have hit a brick wall.

Here is what I have discovered when talking to other homeschool mothers.

Most home schooling parents want information for themselves but aren't willing to give up any.

Many want to meet other parents to share activities and allow their children to socialize but aren't willing to go out of their way to make such things happen.

These were interesting discoveries because there were several attempts to initiate park days and a regular monthly meetings but attendence, to put it mildly, sucked big time.

So I have been working on some ideas that may just start to happen and it is great news if you happen to live in Dayton. Actually it doesn't matter if you live outside Dayton but those of us in the City won't have to drive 20 miles to participate in an activity! I will start to disclose them to this site and the local yahoo groups very shortly. Maybe we can inject a bit of life into this site. I also have a bunch of links that I need to add but that is another story.

5 comments:

Amy said...

"Most home schooling parents want information for themselves but aren't willing to give up any."
I am not sure what you mean by this statement. If you mean am I willing to put my home on a map of where I live than you are correct, I am not willing to put that information on the web for anyone to see.
I was willing to participate in this blog and have a way for homeschooler's in Dayton to communicate with each other, but I was very "put off" by the whole map idea. I just don't think it is safe to be publicly displaying that kind of information.

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I had honestly forgotten about this site (WAY too much on my plate, LOL). I do not live in Dayton, but have startd (with some friends) a co-op in West Milton. This co-op is open to anybody (homeschool, virtual charter, etc...) with children in grades k-6. Check out my blog and the co-op blog http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/sisterchicksteph http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/communitycoop

Anonymous said...

home school no good for dayton if you
don't want send your dumb kids to DPS
then move out of dayton

Gary said...

For anonymous,

I don't want to send my SMART kid to DPS. In fact, anyone who has a smart child and chooses to home school or use a private school ought to live in Dayton because the taxes are lower here and since our children won't be getting any of that state money applied to them that goes to DPS it only makes sense. It seems to me that educated parents educate their children. Uneducated parents expect someone else to do it for them.

Anonymous said...

DPS has clearly done wonders for you. Please, do write more. Educate us, share the wonders of your dizzying intellect and knowledge of grammar and punctuation.